MarkD
  •  MarkD
  • 57.4% (Neutral)
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2022-03-17T14:47:20Z
Hello,
I have two MSV80 ECU's and want to clone the one with bad HW to the other.

I have not used the cloning feature yet as I just got it activated. I was hoping to use SERVICE mode but the wiring info mentioned that you have to add a resistor and CAN transceiver for service mode and the transceiver is out of stock at most places.

Is this transceiver required only for SERVICE mode or also for BOOT MODE and OBD-2 MODE? It's not clear to me as I see the same connections made to CAN1 and CAN2 in all cases, but I also see that there's already one CAN chip on the board.

I tried to connect to the ECU in SERVICE mode and PBD-2 mode without any connections to CAN2 (just to see what would happen) and I get a message saying "cant read VIN".

I'm wondering what method I can use to successfully clone the ECU without needing to add a CAN chip. Will BOOT MODE work? I didn't try it yet.
Sponsor

Start ECU Repairing, ECU Cloning, and Chip Tuning today, all from an incredible price of just USD 385.00.

No annual fees, no extra charges: You pay only when you have a job.

Visit Hexprog II page

PDXAutoworks
2022-03-17T16:15:20Z
Open the DME(s) and check inside to see if they have the necessary components to read/write in factory mode. Just follow connection diagram, make sure all wiring is plugged in just as the diagram shows. If it can not read, then you must install the extra components.
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
Autohex_II_BMW
2022-03-18T06:27:18Z
Originally Posted by: MarkD 

Hello,

I have not used the cloning feature yet as I just got it activated. I was hoping to use SERVICE mode but the wiring info mentioned that you have to add a resistor and CAN transceiver for service mode and the transceiver is out of stock at most places.

Is this transceiver required only for SERVICE mode or also for BOOT MODE and OBD-2 MODE? It's not clear to me as I see the same connections made to CAN1 and CAN2 in all cases, but I also see that there's already one CAN chip on the board.

I tried to connect to the ECU in SERVICE mode and PBD-2 mode without any connections to CAN2 (just to see what would happen) and I get a message saying "cant read VIN".

I'm wondering what method I can use to successfully clone the ECU without needing to add a CAN chip. Will BOOT MODE work? I didn't try it yet.

you can try to read it on factory mode first, if any error like no communication then you need to open and check if the components are missing. If yes need to add that them make backup from original and donor then connect original and click on CLONE button. Please check the attached video as reference .
MarkD
  •  MarkD
  • 57.4% (Neutral)
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2022-03-18T20:47:30Z
Originally Posted by: Autohex_II_BMW 

Hello,

you can try to read it on factory mode first, if any error like no communication then you need to open and check if the components are missing. If yes need to add that them make backup from original and donor then connect original and click on CLONE button. Please check the attached video as reference .

Thanks. I had to give up on this as the 2551 CAN transceivers are not available anywhere right now!
applerallph
2022-03-19T08:12:54Z

Hello,

Thanks. I had to give up on this as the 2551 CAN transceivers are not available anywhere right now!

.. don’t give up mate _ you have two MSV80’s both with 1 CAN transceiver each, borrow from one and continue with the process. Don’t forget the 2K ohm resistor and the CHOCK those you can get from any HSCAN driven modules
Autohex_II_BMW
2022-03-21T07:11:27Z

Hello,

If you got autohex you can read ISN from donor ECU and write to CAS. Then do coding for DME to adapt VIN from CAS.