bmchicago
2022-10-19T18:33:10Z
tried a 2013 X5M, and a 2011 X6 xDrive50i. Both read files okay.
Both stuck on erasing part 1 when trying to write flash

Tried factory mode with X5M and backed up all files. Modified P-Flash and wrote back. ECU is now dead.

Tried to communicate over Boot Mode, ECU does not respond.

Is this a known issue?
Can we recover this MSD85?
Sponsor

Start ECU Repairing, ECU Cloning, and Chip Tuning today, all from an incredible price of just USD 385.00.

No annual fees, no extra charges: You pay only when you have a job.

Visit Hexprog II page

sixcode
2022-10-20T10:59:12Z
Originally Posted by: bmchicago 

tried a 2013 X5M, and a 2011 X6 xDrive50i. Both read files okay.
Both stuck on erasing part 1 when trying to write flash

Tried factory mode with X5M and backed up all files. Modified P-Flash and wrote back. ECU is now dead.

Tried to communicate over Boot Mode, ECU does not respond.

Is this a known issue?
Can we recover this MSD85?

boot mode is "always" available "if" everything is ok, so no shorts on pcb or wrong connection
post pictures in a zip file with your boot connections
Autohex_II_BMW
2022-10-21T07:34:30Z
continental ecus have password in p flash so it is not recommended to write another ecu file or obd file through onbench factory or boot mode. if you have error writing obd please unplug and connect back battery negative and write back the original v read file then ecu will become normal , same procedure can be done for writing the mod v file to write the tuning.
if ecu is written with obd file onbench then ecu will not communicate as obd files have only map portions and other portions will be lost from ecu. Also these ecus have password so cannot write another ecu file in factory or boot mode unless have original backup or p flash of ecu.
please inform if you have the original files backed up from ecu before writing another file factory mode.
sixcode
2022-10-21T13:19:54Z
Originally Posted by: Autohex_II_BMW 

continental ecus have password in p flash so it is not recommended to write another ecu file or obd file through onbench factory or boot mode. if you have error writing obd please unplug and connect back battery negative and write back the original v read file then ecu will become normal , same procedure can be done for writing the mod v file to write the tuning.
if ecu is written with obd file onbench then ecu will not communicate as obd files have only map portions and other portions will be lost from ecu. Also these ecus have password so cannot write another ecu file in factory or boot mode unless have original backup or p flash of ecu.
please inform if you have the original files backed up from ecu before writing another file factory mode.

at least the software must say "wrong password" if that is the case
bmchicago
2022-10-21T17:59:56Z
yes i have the back up files prior to flashing. I connected tricore cables to ECU connectors as posted on the website.

i will try again, unless there is some other procedure to try with boot mode?
bmchicago
2022-10-21T19:42:13Z
Is the tricore cable different on Autohex and Hexprog?
I tried today with Power Module and it now shows when i try to restore bak file.

Ecu Unlock failed. Please check your selection! -Ref:9c8-
Autohex_II_BMW
2022-10-22T11:19:50Z
please write back the original file to ecu in boot mode (the backup file made onbench). it may not read the data but write direct and do v read file write obd to make to ecu normal again.
bmchicago
2022-10-24T11:57:01Z
still says ECU unlock failed. Its okay to leave Boot pin connected when performing boot mode?
Autohex_II_BMW
2022-10-24T13:00:53Z
yes , boot mode is required to connect boot pin to write ecu.