e46M3dave
  •  e46M3dave
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2017-03-10T01:18:06Z

This problem has been going on for two weeks. Basically we swapped two DME's and CAS with keys from good F10 M5 to the bad F10 M5 and car started and idle smooth. Once original DME were installed back we had many issues with DME2 (driver side) so we knew this was bad DME.

I followed the videos from Microtronic site on F10 DME swap. ran into issues but support assisted, with ISN read problems. Not everything shows up in these videos when working on actual car. That I am learning the hard way.

Anyway we were able to get ISN updated on both donor DME, however the nightmare started when DME2 needed to be coded. That's when I get the following:

ONLINE PROGRAMMING: Module rejecting to switch to required mode Reference 830c.

Now I switch to ISTA/P for attempt to program, however ISTA/P complains it needs "ENABLING CODES for "Max engine performance DME2" and same for DME1

Support then suggests to use ISN boot and perform work hours reset. At this point my customer is so upset he ships DME to a tuner whom drills a hole in DME and uses DimSport tuner tool to read the entire DME contents (cloning the DME) and writing back to this problem DME2. I did not this this was good because you are doing something similar like a hard drive cloning that has a virus inside. Issue will just mode to another DME.

Yesterday they installed the DME and same issue car starts and DME2 has same fault and idles very rough. They just completed a full ISTA/P programming at BMW and same problem. Now I will attempt to finally get a shot at doing the work hours reset. and then code the DME.

I check another forum and found that mentioned the hours reset and those folks use another tool, but AutoHex is able to do same but much easy. I will get this DME2 back and attempt to do this on it and will update this post on progress.

Sponsor

Start ECU Repairing, ECU Cloning, and Chip Tuning today, all from an incredible price of just USD 385.00.

No annual fees, no extra charges: You pay only when you have a job.

Visit Hexprog II page

Autohex_II_BMW
2017-03-10T16:08:09Z
Dave,
I believe 2 support engineers were with you step by step to solve this issue for more than 10 hours during the past 2 weeks. the question is: are you reporting a bug or this is just an informative topic?
roxetteer
2017-03-10T16:13:18Z
Originally Posted by: e46M3dave 

I check another forum and found that mentioned the hours reset and those folks use another tool, but AutoHex is able to do same but much easy. I will get this DME2 back and attempt to do this on it and will update this post on progress.

The solution to your problem for incorrect data record. Just reset working hours using boot mode, then code DME and you're good to go.
e46M3dave
  •  e46M3dave
  • 100% (Exalted)
2017-03-10T17:05:32Z
This is just informative for others to read if they run into the issue. At present I am awaiting for DME2 so that I can try the reset hours on bench and program.

thanks
Dave
huyhungst
2017-03-20T07:09:51Z
hi ! i have same this problem with 520 2015 N20 . i have ussed boot mode to write data to Replace ECU , but it cant program and coding by AUTOHEX , ( showed it incomplie )

now i have no way to fix that (:
Gbyleveldt
2017-03-20T13:54:44Z
Does the donor ecu also come from a 520? This is important. Even if hardware is the same, but comes from different model, you'll have issues with programming. In cases like these, it's better to use a tool that can clone the broken ecu, like Ktag.
huyhungst
2017-03-20T15:45:38Z
Originally Posted by: Gbyleveldt 

Does the donor ecu also come from a 520? This is important. Even if hardware is the same, but comes from different model, you'll have issues with programming. In cases like these, it's better to use a tool that can clone the broken ecu, like Ktag.

yes ! did you triedn it with Ktag ? i have tried it but on the k-suite said its unclonable !

e46M3dave
  •  e46M3dave
  • 100% (Exalted)
2017-03-20T16:17:03Z
I did a clone using DimSPort tool. But ended with same power monitoring error. Last week we did the work hours reset and was able to program the DME2 (driver side) on this M5. Finally this car is gone. I learn that these tuning tools do not go nowhere as deep as the AutoHex tool. Good to have as far as taking an image of your DME.
Gbyleveldt
2017-03-21T12:13:45Z
It is true that in some cases Ktag doesn't do a 100% clone of these ECUs. Like mevd1728 and mevd1729, although the hardware is the same as mevd1724 (as far as I could see from looking at actual ECUs). On other cars I've had good success, like N20/N55/S55. I'm using 7.020 Ktag with ksuit 2.25, not sure if a later version will perform better.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that no one tool will do everything, and experience with many tools are essential for the complex cars today. For sure having Autohex will get you most of the way there for most cars.